Kinetic Processes in Materials integrates a broad range of material on kinetic processes: diffusion, chemical reactions, and phase transformations. This first year graduate-level text features scores of problems, many of which are class tested and worked out. Although there are numerous texts on diffusion currently available, none offers the scope and depth of this text.
PART I: MOTION OF ATOMS AND MOLECULES BY DIFFUSION.
2. Irreversible Thermodynamics: Coupled Forces and Fluxes.
3. Driving Forces and Fluxes for Diffusion.
4. The Diffusion Equation.
5. Solutions to the Diffusion Equation.
6. Diffusion In Multi-Component Systems.
7. Atomic Models for Diffusion.
8. Diffusion in Cerystals.
9. Diffusion Along Crystal Imperfections.
10. Diffusion in Noncrystalline Materials.
PART II: MOTION OF DISLOCATIONS AND INTERFACES.
11. Motion of Dislocations.
12. Motion of Crystalline Surfaces.
13. Motion of Crystalline Interfaces.
PART III MORPHOLOGICAL EVOLUTION DUE TO CAPILLARY AND APPLIED MECHANICAL FORCES.
14. Surface Evolution due to Capillary Forces.
15. Coarsening due to Capillary Forces.
16. Morphological Evolution, Diffusional Creep, and Sintering.
PART IV: PHASE TRANSFORMATIONS.
17.General Features of Phase Transformations.
18. Spinodal and Order-Disorder Transformations.
20. Growth of Phases in Concentration and Thermal Fields.
21. Concurrent Nucleation and Growth.
24. Martensitic Transformations.